Welcome to the Frontpage
Lanigan PTA Board Member Duties
Lanigan PTA Board Member Duties
- Preside at all meetings of the association.
- b. Perform such other duties as may be prescribed in the bylaws or assigned by the association.
- Be a member ex officio of all committees except the nominating committee.
- d. Coordinate the work of the officers and committees of the association in order that the Objects may be promoted.
- e. Attend meetings called by the City Council PTA, when in membership with Council, or arrange for his duly elected alternate to attend.
Vice President of Fundraising-1
- Act as aide to the president.
- Maintain and initiate appropriate opportunities for fundraising.
- Work with coordinators of programs such as Boxtops, Campbells Labels and Market Day.
Vice President of Education-2
- Act as aide to the president.
- Oversee the Extended Learning Opportunities Committee by working with the committee's parent representative, staff, principal and program coordinators.
- Coordinate and support educational assemblies and programs.
- Work with coordinators to support programs such as Reflections and Art Smart.
Vice President of Events-3
- Act as aide to president
- Coordinate and/or oversee social events such as Harvest Carnival, Ice Cream Social, Movie Night and more.
- Oversee all Event committees
- Keep an accurate record of the minutes of all meetings of the association and of the executive board; b. Have a current copy of the bylaws;
- Maintain a membership list;
- Perform other delegated duties as assigned;
- Conduct the correspondence delegated to him/her.
- Immediately following the election, send the name and address of the newly elected President to the Michigan PTSA Office.
- Keep a full and accurate account of receipts and expenditures;
- Make the disbursements as authorized by the president, executive board, or association in accordance with the budget adopted by the association;
- Have checks or vouchers signed by two persons, the treasurer and one other person;
- Present a financial statement at every meeting of the association and at other times when requested by the executive board;
- Make a full report at the meeting at which new officers officially assume their duties (usually the annual meeting);
- Keep the record of the National and State portions of the membership dues separate from the record of the general funds of the local unit, as provided in these Bylaws Article V, Section 6;
- Submit the books annually for an audit by an auditing committee selected by the executive board at least two weeks before the meeting at which new officers assume duties.
- Forward the $25.00 unit dues to the Michigan PTSA office on or before June 1 of each fiscal year.
- Forward National and State monies to the Michigan PTSA office on a monthly basis by the
- Submit copies of the annual audit and budget to the MPTSA state office by February 28th.
- Initiate and Maintain PTA memberships within the Lanigan Community
- Maintain a membership List
- Perform other duties as assigned
Advocacy and Outreach Chair
- Advocate for students and education at all levels including local, state and national levels
- Report updates on current legislation and other advocacy issues to the board and at monthly general meetings
- Act as the liason to the District PTA Council
- Serve as contact point person for our Lanigan and Farmington Communities
Welcome Letter 2013-2014
Dear Lanigan Families,
I would like to take the opportunity to welcome you all to the 2013-2014 school year at Lanigan Elementary School. Your PTA Board has been busy preparing for a very productive and exciting year.
The overall purpose of the Lanigan PTA is to work collectively to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children. Every Child-One Voice is the National PTA motto and the PTA is one of the strongest voices in the educational process that directly supports our children and school collectively support our children. Together The Lanigan PTA makes a difference for our children by:
- Providing educational enrichment programs to our children such as WordMasters, Junior Great Books, Math Pentathlon, Art Smart, and science fairs
- Sponsoring fun and enriching events during the school year including... Fall Harvest Carnival, Ice Cream Social, Movie Night, Fun Day, Holiday Shop and Book Fairs and more…
- Helping raise funds for items such technology, books and to help fund bussing for field trips
- Providing families with resources to keep them informed throughout the year including family directories and information via ListServ.
In order to continue these great efforts, we need the support and involvement of the families of our students. The first way to show your support is to become a member of the Lanigan PTA.
As a member, you are not required to attend meetings or volunteer but we welcome you to do so. We encourage you to participate in the events and programs that we have planned throughout the year. Whatever level of participation you choose, your time and involvement will be greatly appreciated. Many parents feel that they cannot participate in the PTA because they cannot come to meetings or be at school during the day. Whether you have 30 minutes or a couple of hours, your ideas, your time, and your talents are truly needed. There are endless possibilities in ways you can help.
Joining is easy. In this packet you will find a membership form. We invite you to become a member and start making a difference today.
On behalf of the Lanigan PTA we would once again like to extend a warm welcome and best wishes for a successful school year! For information and updates please watch for ListServ emails from the school, join our Facebook page or visit our website: www.laniganpta.com.
2013-2014 PTA President
Lanigan PTA Extended Learning Opportunities
LANIGAN PTA EXTENDED LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
The Lanigan PTA is committed to providing fun and educational programs beyond the curriculum. We provide learning experiences that enhance, reinforce and supplement the daily learning. Below are just some of the great programs and events the Lanigan PTA helps to bring to life at Lanigan. Detailed information on all these events and more will be forthcoming.
Math Pentathlon: An after school program for all K through 4th grade students, placed in divisions according to grade level. The children play sets of five board games that enhance problem-solving, computational geometric/spatial and logical reasoning skills. There is an optional tournament open to all participants at the end of the program.
Word Masters: A fun and mind-stretching classroom competition for Language Arts students in grades 3 and 4. It encourages growth in vocabulary and verbal reasoning skills through analogies and analytical thinking.
Jr. Great Books: A small group, literature discussion program designed to empower readers to become more reflective thinkers and learners. The students gain experience in communication and critical thinking, reading, and discussing stories from world literature.
Art Smart: A program supported by the Farmington Arts Foundation…where volunteers present fine arts education to students during the school day.
Reflections: This PTA program offers students the opportunity to create works of art for fun and recognition. Students in preschool through grade 12 are encouraged to submit works of art within the following areas: Dance, choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and visual arts.
Science Fair: An annual exhibit of student research and results, with a science demonstration show by the Harrison High School EnAct team.
After School Sports: Sports and fun designed to give our children a chance to stay active and learn team skills. 2012-2013 activities included after-school basketball and the Running Club.
Assemblies: The PTA funds and organizes educational assemblies throughout the year. Last year included programs on bullying, and the ever-popular "Skywriters" program featuring actors performing stories written by Lanigan students.
If none of these programs interest you, please know that there are many ways for you and your children to become involved in the Lanigan Community. We have active Boy and Girl Scouts troops, annual literacy programs like "One Book, One School" and the Scholastic Book Fair, the Green Team, and grounds beautification, and many more. Get involved!
PTA General Meeting Schedule 2013-2014
The first PTA meeting this year is Monday September 23th at 6:30 pm. We offer FREE Child Care at all meeting!
Please join us for this and upcoming meetings:
Sept. 23rd 2013 at 6:30
Oct. 28th 2013 at 6:30
Nov. 18th 2013 at 6:30
January 27th 2014 at 6:30
Feb. 24th 2014 at 6:30
March 24th 2014 at 6:30
April 28th 2014 at 6:30
May 19th 2014 at 6:30